Saturday, March 15, 2008

Goldilocks and The Three Bears



Title: Goldilocks and The Three Bears
Retold and Illustrated by: James Marshall
Publisher and date of Publication: Dial Books for Young Readers, 1988
Genre: Traditional Literature, Picture Book
Age Range: K-2nd Grade
Award: Caldecott Honor Book 1989

Summary: This was the traditional story of Goldilocks and the three bears. Goldilocks was sent by her mother to get muffins, but took a shortcut through the woods and ended up at the three bears house. She let herself in because the bears were out for a bike ride. She ate all their porridge, broke baby bear's chair, and fell asleep in baby bear's bed. When the bear's arrive home they find Goldilocks and when she awakes, she runs away in fright.

Response: This is a story that I have heard many times before. I enjoy hearing traditional tales
because they remind me of when I was younger. The illustrations looked older, I guess because the book was published in 1988. Also, the colors in the story looked older and faded. I think young children will love this story, although most have probably already heard the story many times before. I liked the picture of Goldilocks in Baby Bear's bed with all of Baby Bear's stuff. His room
looks like a young boy's room with airplanes and toys. I liked this story but I think I like the new, updated version of the tales better.

Teaching Ideas: I think this book would be good to read to kindergartners. Although most children may have heard this story before, they may enjoy hearing it again. If all the students know the story well, you may cover the words and let them retell the story from the pictures. Also for older students, you could let them create the venn diagram like we created this week.

No comments: