Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Marvin Redpost: Class President



Title: Marvin Redpost: Class President
Author: Louis Sachar
Illustrator: Amy Wummer
Publisher and date of Publication: Random House Inc., 1999
Genre: Novel, Realistic Fiction
Age Range: 3rd-5th grade

Summary: It's hole day at Marvin Redpost's school. Everyone dresses with holey clothes but when they gets to school, Mr. McCabe, the principal, announces to Mrs. North's third-grade class that the President of the United States will be at their school today. The president
arrives with security and newscrews to talk to Mrs. North's class about what a good citizen is and how to be a good citizen. Everyone gets to ask the President personal questions and it aires on the news that night. Marvin is suppose to come home right after school so that his mom could take everyone to
get new shoes. After the school day was over Marvin forgot to come home and when he did, everyone was upset with him and made him go to his room.

Response: This book didn't have a lot to it. I read it in one afternoon but enjoyed reading it. I think that third-graders would enjoy this book because it talks about the president and that's some powerful guy that's in charge of everything to them. It also has a couple pictures so it would help children that are reading themselves and growing out of picture books to understand and follow the story. I just think it's a cute book for children. From what I understand, their is a Marvin Redpost series of books but I have never read them. From my opinion, I think that this series may be more for boys. I read more of the Babysitter's Club books than Marvin Redpost. Meeting the President would be a huge deal for adults much less children. The name of this book is Class President, so I thought this book would be about a little boy running for class office but it has nothing to do with this. Although he does kind of take charge of his class, as the president. I think young boys and even girls would enjoy this short chapter book.

Teaching Ideas: If I was teaching this book in my class, I would have my students to write a question for our current president. The president wouldn't come see my class but maybe I could send the questions to the President, if it was possible. Boys would also enjoy reading this on their own too. Students could also write about what they would do if they were president.

No comments: