Sunday, March 30, 2008

iPoem

Kristen Teague
Little Gold Star: Spanish American
The Talking Eggs: Creole

I am Arcia and my people came to the
New World from Spain
I am Blanche and I am from a mixed-race heritage

And we are Cinderella
And we are Cinderella


I live in the U.S. but my people came from
Spain
Whereas I live in the Gulf Coast, mainly Louisana

I wonder why my neighbor, Margarita,
suddenly changed so much after my dad
married her
While I wonder why my mom treats me so badly while she treats my sister so kindly

I hear people all around shouting, “go
back where you came from or learn to
talk like us!”

But I hear people ask, “what race are you?”

I see myself with a gold star on my forhead,
while my sisters have a donkey ear and a cow
horn.
However, I see magical animals, while my sister only got wasps and wolves

I want my sisters to understand why I got a
gold star and they didn’t
Yet I want my sister and mother to understand why I got gold coins and they got mean things

I am an American but I have Spanish descent
I am an American but I have Cajun culture in me!



Similarly we are slaves to our family
Similarly we are slaves to our family

Stanza Two

I always get called “little gold star” because of the star
on my forehead
On the other hand, I always throw eggs behind my shoulder because that’s how I got the gold coins

I pretend to be a princess, like Cinderella and my
prince will come save me
I pretend to be a princess, like Cinderella and my prince will come save me

I feel like I’m not welcomed in the country
In which I was born!
I feel like I have a connection with the lady in the woods. She understands me


I touch the wool and a little gold star came
From the sky to my forehead
While I touch talking eggs that become a carriage and diamonds

I worry that no one will ever accept me
Because of my hertiage
Yet I worry about the same thing!

I cry tears of joy when the prince picked me!
I cry tears of joy when the eggs become gold and diamonds!

I excel in washing wool at the river
Whereas I excel in picking the eggs that only say “take me”

I am Spanish-American
I am Creole

And we both end up with our
“glass slipper”
And we both end up with our “glass slipper”

This isn't the traditional slipper but in our own cultures, we finally got what we deserved.

I got the pretty star on my forehead
I got jewels and new clothes

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Kristen, this is a good start. I would like to see you incorporate more cultural markers and more specific information from the stories. Do both characters really end up with a glass slipper? What does the slipper truly symbolize. We will have an opportunity to revise the poems. These are just a few suggestions.