Sunday, March 30, 2008

experiences with iPoem

I enjoyed working on this ipoem. I'm glad we did this instead of the multicultural project, although I had trouble trying to post on the wiki website. I worked straight across when doing the ipoem. I didn't do one book, then the other. This way, I could compare the books as I went. I hope it worked. I looked over the websites provided for research and found most of my info from wikipedia and cajunculture.com. Lots of websites had info though. I learned a lot about exactly what spanish american meant and where the creole culture is from. When I think of cajun, I think chicken. I also enjoyed the books. I think I've heard of The Talking Eggs before. It won the Caldecott Honor and the Coretta Scott King Award. Little Gold Star was also interesting because it was written and printed with both english and spanish. Children could learn from it how to write and read in spanish. I thought it was interesting to learn that in Little Gold Star, they thought to have a star on your forehead was a sign of beauty. Here, most of us would just think they were weird. I thought the idea of throwing eggs behind their shoulder was a weird custom and I know I would think that they were crazy. Each culture has different customs, I guess they might think that my customs were crazy too.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Thanks for sharing Kristen. Would you comment more specifically on each culture and what you learned? Thanks.